Tightrope Walker Costume
- Guinea plumage feathers
- Red ostrich feathers
- Mini black top hats
- Dark blue small tulle roll
- Red large tulle roll
- White tulle roll
- White parasol
- Red & gold bead necklaces
- Tank top or leotard
- Ballet slippers or flats
- Bobby pins
- Hot glue or fabric glue
To make the tutu:
- Measure around the waist and cut a length of ribbon or elastic that will double around the waist when tied to create the tutu’s waistband.
- Measure the length you would like your tutu to be and double the number. Add an extra inch or two to allow for the fabric to be knotted. Cut your tulle strips. (You may wish to check the length of your strips by before cutting them all.)
- Fold one of the tulle strips in half. Slide the folded end of the tulle under the waistband a couple of inches so the loop points toward you. Fold the tulle over and lace the ends through the loop at the folded end of the tulle. Pull gently to secure the knot around the ribbon waistband.
- Repeat the process until the tutu is as full as you would like. In addition, we used ribbon to tie Mardi Gras bead necklaces to the waistband of the skirt.
To make the hat:
- Glue ribbon, feathers and tulle netting to the mini top hat.
- Glue the assembled mini top hat to the headband.
To make the tank top:
- Glue rhinestones to the front of the shirt to make a fun pattern.
- Cut strips of tulle and tie the tulle around the straps of the tank top.
To make the pom-pom bracelets:
- Cut two 12" strips of tulle. Cut two 24" strips of tulle and fold lengthwise. Gather the 24" folded strip in the center. Use the shorter strip to tie around the gathered area to make the pom-pom bracelet. Repeat to make the second bracelet. Use the extra length of the 12" strip to tie the tulle pom-pom bracelet around your wrists.
To make the shoe clips:
- Repeat the process for the pom-pom bracelets. Glue each assembled pom-pom to the end of a bobby pin. You may wish to add a rhinestone to the center of each pom-pom. Repeat to make the second shoe clip. Slide the bobby pins on the top of your ballet slippers or flats like a shoe clip.
To make the parasol:
- Glue feathers, ribbon and tulle netting to embellish the parasol.
- Cut Mardi Gras bead necklaces and glue them to the frame of the parasol.
- Glue a few feathers to the top and embellish with ribbon and tulle netting.
Note: If you have trouble viewing the PDF, right-click the download button, and select "Save Target As…" to download the file.